Biblical Answers to the World Mission Society Church of God

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.--1 John 4:1

Are you or a loved one struggling with this group? Do you need Biblical answers about the World Mission Society Church of God (WMSCoG or CoGWMS), their founder Ahnsahnghong (Ahn Sahng/Sang-Hong) or their current leader "Mother Jerusalem" (a.k.a. "Heavenly Mother God," Zang/Zahng Gil-Jah, or Chung Gil Cha)? Thank you for coming here. I hope my blog helps you. Questions and comments are always welcome.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Other Mothers - Part 2

Back to my keyword study of "mother" in the Bible.  Just to review, I was looking up references to "mother" that could possibly refer to something other than a natural, human mother, to see if there is any support for a "Mother God."  Continuing with the next verses...

Hosea chapter 2, verses 2 and 4-5 (but read the whole chapter!)
“Rebuke your mother, rebuke her, for she is not my wife, and I am not her husband.  Let her remove the adulterous look from her face and the unfaithfulness from between her breasts. ... I will not show my love to her children, because they are the children of adultery.  Their mother has been unfaithful and has conceived them in disgrace.  She said, ‘I will go after my lovers, who give me my food and my water, my wool and my linen, my olive oil and my drink.’
This "mother" represents the nation of Israel who has been unfaithful to God.  If this was any kind of heavenly mother, she would be in trouble!

Hosea 4:5  You stumble day and night, and the prophets stumble with you.  So I will destroy your mother
A reading of Hosea chapter 4 (and the whole book of Hosea) reveals that the "mother" here continues to represent the nation of Israel.
 
Matthew12:49; Mark3:35; Luke 8:21
These three verses are tell of the same account.  I'll quote Mark 3:31-35:
Then Jesus’ mother and brothers arrived. Standing outside, they sent someone in to call him.  A crowd was sitting around him, and they told him, “Your mother and brothers are outside looking for you.”
“Who are my mother and my brothers?” he asked.
Then he looked at those seated in a circle around him and said, “Here are my mother and my brothers!  Whoever does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.”
Jesus was saying that He considers all true Christians as close to Him as family.  It is a metaphor again, not representing a "heavenly mother."

Galatians 4:26 But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother.
This is the verse that started my study, the verse that the WMSCOG uses all the time.  I studied it (and their interpretation) in depth in five parts starting here

Hebrews 7:3  Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, resembling the Son of God, he remains a priest forever.
Although it may appear at first that this refers to a natural, human mother, examination of Hebrews chapter 7 shows something slightly different.  It does not mean that this priest did not have an actual mother that bore him, nor does it mean that the priest's mother was an unbeliever (as the WMSCOG interprets).  It's talking about the genealogy of a priest.  An Israelite priest must be from the tribe of Levi, but this priest was not from the tribe of Levi.  It was not his genealogy through his father or mother that made him a priest.

Revelation 17:5  The name written on her forehead was a mystery:
BABYLON THE GREAT
THE MOTHER OF PROSTITUTES
AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
Like in Jeremiah 50, this "mother" is specified as the kingdom of Babylon, but symbolizes the root of all the "abominations of the earth".  The WMSCOG says that this Babylon stands for the Catholic church from whom branched off all the all the current denominations of the Christian church that we see today.  (There is a chart on Wikipedia here.)  The WMSCOG also says that all of those denominations are the "prostitutes" mentioned in this verse.  Rev. 17:18 does say, "The woman you saw is the great city that rules over the kings of the earth." which at the time was Rome.  That is a topic for another day, but in any case, the "mother" in Revelation 17:5 is clearly not a "heavenly mother god." 

Isaiah 49:15 and 66:13  Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! ... As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you; and you will be comforted over Jerusalem.”
These two verses use a "mother" as a metaphor for the compassion and comfort of God.  However, the WMSCOG agrees that the God speaking in the Old Testament is God the Father.  These verses show that God the Father also possesses the qualities of a mother Himself, but there is NOT a separate "God the Mother."

I've looked carefully and see no other verses about a "mother" that could possibly be referring to a "Mother God."  If you think I've missed something, please speak up!
The Bible does NOT testify to a second God, the "Mother".

2 comments:

  1. I'm redirecting a reader's comment here:
    Anonymous said...
    "wow... ur blog is just wrong... ._. Not every word saying Mother will represent mother Jerusalem you know... some versicles will refer to mother jerusalem and some not..."
    January 3, 2011 6:01 PM

    Thanks for reading my blog even if you don't agree. I appreciate your comment.
    I've searched the Bible carefully and can find no other verse (besides Gal. 4:26) with the word "mother" that could represent the WMSCOG's "Heavenly Mother."

    You say that there are some that do refer to "Mother Jerusalem"--please let me know which ones and I'll be happy to look at them. I hope you write back soon because I'll be waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. To the Anonymous who sent me a comment here on Tuesday, Jan. 25:

    Thank you so much for your encouragement! You've got a good understanding of the way this group operates. I'd really like to get in touch with you. Would you please send me an email? Thanks and blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete