Biblical Answers to the World Mission Society Church of God

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.--1 John 4:1

Are you or a loved one struggling with this group? Do you need Biblical answers about the World Mission Society Church of God (WMSCoG or CoGWMS), their founder Ahnsahnghong (Ahn Sahng/Sang-Hong) or their current leader "Mother Jerusalem" (a.k.a. "Heavenly Mother God," Zang/Zahng Gil-Jah, or Chung Gil Cha)? Thank you for coming here. I hope my blog helps you. Questions and comments are always welcome.

Monday, July 5, 2010

Was the Lord's Supper a Covenant or a Command?

More from Ahnsahnghong's book, “The Mystery of God and the Spring of the Water of Life”:

Page 401, Chapter 31
“The words in John 13:34, “A new command I give you,” are the same as the words in Luke 22:20, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.” In the three Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke, it is described as the “new covenant” or the “covenant” instead of a “new command,” and in the Gospel of John it is described as a “new command” instead of the “new covenant” (John 13:34; 15:10-12). This new covenant, the new command, is a memorial day of our Redeemer. It is the Passover through which we love Jesus and also love one another in Him as He has loved us.”
And on Page 413, Chapter 31
Regarding “the new command” and “the new covenant”: “…the two are the same words; the new command is the new covenant.”

Is the "new covenant" that Jesus talked about at the Last Supper really the "new command" that Jesus wants us to follow?

First of all, the word for “covenant” used in Matthew, Mark, and Luke is the Greek word “diatheke.” The word for “command” used in John is the Greek word “entole.”

"Diatheke" = a covenant, testament, contract, compact
"Entole" = a command, order, prescribed rule

Those are two different words with two different meanings, not the same word, not even from the same root word, not even interchangeable words with the same meaning.

But if you look at the context, would the verses correspond to show us that the Lord’s Supper is both a “command” and a “covenant”? Here are the verses, first for “covenant”:

Matthew 26:27-28
Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins."

Mark 14:23-24
Then He took the cup, and when He had given thanks He gave it to them, and they all drank from it. And He said to them, "This is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many."

Luke 22:20
Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you."

And now for “command”:
John 13:34-35
"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

John 15:10-12
"If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you."

Is the “new covenant” the same as the “new command”?  No, or Jesus would have said, “A new command I give you: take the cup of the Passover without fail,” or “My command is this: drink from my cup.”
The “new covenant” is the blood of Jesus poured out for the forgiveness of sins.
The “new command” is to love each other.
Different.

No comments:

Post a Comment